1. Am I required to make 2015 federal quarterly estimated tax payments?
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) requires you to make quarterly estimated tax payments for calendar year 2015 if both of the following apply:
- you expect to owe at least $1,000 in federal tax for 2015, after subtracting federal tax withholding and credits, and
- you expect federal withholding and credits to be less than the smaller of:
- 90% of the tax to be shown on your 2015 federal tax return, or
- 100% of the tax shown on your 2014 federal tax return (only applies if your 2014 tax return covered 12 months – otherwise refer to 90% rule above only).
2. How do I calculate the amount of my federal quarterly estimated tax payments?
To calculate your federal quarterly estimated tax payments, you must estimate your adjusted gross income, taxable income, taxes, deductions, and credits for the calendar year 2015. Form 1040-ES includes an Estimated Tax Worksheet to help you calculate your federal estimated tax payments. For examples of completed estimated tax worksheets, please refer to theExamples section of this site.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the filing dates for federal quarterly estimated tax payments?
|January 1 – March 31, 2015
||April 15, 2015
|April 1 – May 31, 2015
||June 15, 2015
|June 1 – August 31, 2015
||September 15, 2015
|September 1 – December 31, 2015
||January 15, 2016
*You do not have to make the payment due on January 15, 2016, if you file your 2015 tax return by February 1, 2016 and pay the entire balance due with your return.
2. How do I make federal quarterly estimated payments?
The IRS provides various methods for making 2015 quarterly estimated tax payments:
3. What if I do not pay enough federal income tax in a timely manner for the calendar year 2015?
Generally, if you do not pay enough tax in a timely manner either through withholding or making estimated tax payments, you may be required to pay a penalty.
Please refer to IRS Publication 505, Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax, for a detailed discussion of the underpayment penalty, including exceptions to this penalty.
4. How do I obtain additional information regarding federal quarterly estimated tax payments?
Please refer to IRS Form 1040-ES Instructions and IRS Publication 505, Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax, for additional information regarding federal quarterly estimated tax payments or consult your personal tax advisor.